Planning to take a trip with your buddies or a quick bite in the parking lot before attending the big game with your buddies? The go-to option for you would be a portable grill to get that perfectly cooked bite with your friends. And if you do not want to miss out on the smoky flavor with an amazing texture, the charcoal grill is always the best bet. Keeping in mind you need to get a quick bite whether at home, at the game, beach tripping or camping. Our panel of experts has reviewed some of the best portable charcoal grills available in the market and has come up with a recommendation list.
The parameters for this objective evaluation have been simple yet critical
- Ease of cleaning
These parameters were chosen keeping in mind that the requirements of every individual may be unique but general guidelines can help make an informed choice in buying the best portable charcoal grill. Without further delay, let us take a look at the recommendations from our experts.
Top 5 Portable Charcoal Grill Comparison Chart
Portable Charcoal Grill Reviews
Have a look at the detailed breakdown of the best portable charcoal grills.
1. Old Smokey Charcoal Grill #22
The first in our list is the Old Smokey Charcoal Grill #22. The company has been in the business since the 1950 s and their products are loved by one and all. For the purpose of this review, we used the charcoal grill although they have electric versions available as well. We found it to be one of the best portable grills for camping, thanks in big measure to its compact size.
The product comes with a number of features including ease of assembling, side handles for carrying easily, aluminum steel body making it rust resistant, ash pan is removable making it easy to clean and adjustable vents to ensure you can control the heat to your liking.
What’s to Like About Old Smokey Charcoal Grill
- Ease of assembling and disassembling during a trip
- Compact yet sufficient size to cook for more people – 22″ diameter giving a cooking area of nearly 333 inches square
- Temperature control available through the 3 temperature vents
- The removable ash pan is a big advantage especially during a camping trip, where you can quickly clean up and move ahead
- Ease of carrying with the aluminum handle, allowing to carry even the heated lid after cooking
- The pocket-friendly price of under $100
What’s not to Like About Old Smokey Charcoal Grill
- Although it is a compact grill, it is not foldable. Hence, it needs to be carried as it is
- Primarily a grill, the performance as a smoker may not be liked by some
- Availability of spare parts is slightly difficult
2. Weber 40020 Smokey Joe Premium
The next on our list of best portable charcoal grills is an entry from the market leader in charcoal grills, Weber – the Weber 40020 Smokey Joe Premium. The first thing that one notices about this model is the sleek and stylish design. A typical example of the Weber models, this lightweight grill packs in a punch with all of its 9.8 pounds.
The weight and the compact dimensions make it one of the top choices in your quest for the best portable grill for tailgating. The fact that it can make up to 5 burgers in a go should place it high in your priority list as this ensures you can cook for your entire gang in one-go, whether you are going for a game or camping.
Another typical feature of the Weber models, the body of this grill is porcelain-enameled including the lid. This takes care of anti-rusting as well as the amount of heat felt external. It is definitely one of the favorites for our panel of experts and so, let’s look into it in a little more detail.
What’s to Like About the Weber 40020 Smokey Joe Premium
- The compact and stylish design with dimensions of 15.5 X 15.5 X 9 inches
- Portability. With the small size and Tuck n Carry lid mechanism, it affords great possibility to carry it wherever you want
- The nylon glass reinforced grip on the lid, making it easy to operate even when hot, as the grip does not heat up.
- A cooking space of 147 square inches making it ideal for a small group
- Adjustable dampers to control the air circulation and hence, the temperature
- Budget-friendly price of under $60.
What’s not to Like About the Weber 40020 Smokey Joe Premium
- The aluminum legs are not foldable and hence slightly inconvenient to carry
- The reduced size makes it difficult to employ an indirect cooking method
Apart from these minor inconveniences, the Weber 40020 Smokey Joe Premium could easily be called one of the best portable charcoal grills available out there
3. Cuisinart CGG-180T Petit Gourmet Portable Tabletop
A not so surprising entry in the list from our panel of experts in the list of best portable gas and charcoal grills, the Cuisinart CGG-180T impresses in the first look with its distinct color. In a world of smokers dominated by black and steel, this one stands out in its bright red. The second distinct design feature is its briefcase style design that makes it stand out in the crowd. But the most noteworthy feature about the Petit Gourmet is the ease to carry it around. Extremely lightweight (just about 20 lbs) and with foldable legs that can be moved out and adjusted for height, this one can be a dream for someone looking to find the best portable grill for camping. Carrying it along and setting up single-handed is extremely easy. The porcelain enameled cooking grate and a grilling area of nearly 145 square inches make it a great choice for tailgating as well as camping. Let us look at some of its salient features.
What’s to Like About the Cuisinart CGG-180T
- The ease of carrying making it among the best portable grill for camping
- The foldable aluminum legs making it easy to set up and stabilize
- The unique design and color combination
- The sufficient cooking area for 3 to 4 people
- Economic pricing of under 100 USD
What’s not to Like About the Cuisinart CGG-180T
- The drip tray needs frequent cleaning and hence, constant attention
- Low cooking surface requires a constant bending over the grill
- Meat may stick frequently as compared to other grills due to the stainless steel grate instead of cast iron ones
4. Quick Grill Medium by Fox Outfitters
A traditional style folding charcoal grill, one of the reasons for this to feature in our list of the best portable charcoal grills is the nostalgia it evokes apart from the wonderful features it offers. A part of almost all the reviews to find the best and cheap portable charcoal grills, the one quality endearing it to one and all is the ease with which it can be folded and carried. The compact dimensions of 13 X 13 X 8.5 inches make it one of the smallest and hence best portable charcoal grills around.
What’s to Like About Quick Grill Medium
- One of the lightest charcoal grills around at just 4.75 pounds
- Foldable legs and easy to carry thanks to a compact design
- Retains the heat making it ideal for the outdoors
What’s not to Like About the Quick Grill Medium
- Unhinged grate needing to be careful when using it
- Heats up quite a lot and so needs careful handling
5. Weber Go-Anywhere
Weber is a name to reckon with in anything to do with grills, kettles and other such equipment. The expertise shows in the fact that even this small list of ours has two products from the same company. The second product with a name signifying everything we look for in the best portable charcoal grill – The Weber Go-Anywhere. That’s exactly what you would want to do – go anywhere with this beauty. The 12.2 X 21 X 14.5-inch grill weighing around 14.46 pounds is the best bet one can get when looking for cheap portable charcoal grills. Foldable, easily carried in one hand, durable and stylish, this is the best portable charcoal grill for tailgating or camping.
What’s to Like About Weber Go-Anywhere
- Ease of use and cleaning
- Stylish and compact design with foldable legs
- Perfect size to cook for two people at once
- Rectangular shape helping it to fit in any bag or suitcase
- Heat retention with the porcelain enameled base as well as the lid
What’s not to Like About Weber Go-Anywhere
- The charcoal is very close to the meat making it prone to burning quickly
- Temperature control by means of the dampers could have been better
After going through the list and putting the various models to test under different conditions, our experts unanimously agree that the best portable charcoal grill is the Weber Go-Anywhere. It ticks all the boxes that one can look for in a portable charcoal grill. It is compact and efficient for two people. Foldable legs make it easy to carry and also consists of plated stainless steel grate for cooking along with the Porcelain enameled base and lid retaining heat. It is really easy to clean and pocket-friendly as well. Plan your next camping trip with the Go-Anywhere!